Monday, November 12, 2012

Oh.. well.. ok then..

Being a broke girl, my main form of communication is on facebook. During the very heated political race for President, I lost a few people.. some were real friends, some were fb friends, all brought a different view of things that I rather enjoyed. You don't have to agree with me to be my friend, you just have to adore me ;)

What I found so interesting about this self-purging on fb, is the manner in which it was done. There were two distinct methods to un-friending me.. the "poof. I'm gone" method..some of which I have to say I did not notice, I know my number has gone down but I just can't figure out who all left.. and the "here's a message about why I am un-friending you" method.. let me tell you, some of those messages were brutal.. which is actually the method I prefer. I noticed a weird little thing..

The people I actually know, the ones that I shared memories with, hung out with, grew up with.. those were the poofers. One second I was seeing a picture of their dinner, the next second other friends were commenting on a picture of their dinner that was not in my newsfeed. Really? Those that I knew almost exclusively through facebook, the subscribers, the friends of friends, the I just met you find me on fbers.. those people sent me a message. (not all but most) Sometimes the messages were not kind, slut and liberal whore and baby killer and n*-lover were usually sprinkled through the text, but at least I knew where I stood with these folks.

I knew which friends I did not see eye to eye with, I would post an Obama thing and they would post a romney thing, but we still talked. We agreed to disagree, then they cut me out of their lives. I do admit to cutting three people from my friends list, with messages to each of them, each of them a rather distant acquaintance. I did not un-friend a single person I actually knew.

Well, I suppose that the person you become is never the person you were, but many of the friends I lost spent so much of their time pretending the person they were never existed.. it doesn't surprise me too much that they simply cut me out. It can be difficult to live your lie when you have a friend that embraces her mistakes and shares every inappropriate memory ;) To each their own, I will miss those friends.. but not too much.. they were obviously not too concerned with losing me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment